Monday, September 24, 2012

"Then I'm heading south fore my dream shrinks...I gotta go where it's warm."

You said it Jimmy! We woke at 6:30 a.m. to rain and temperatures in the high 30's. After checking the weather once more we decided to go for it. The cruise begins...Our goal was Fairport Harbor...51 statute miles, 43.7 nautical miles. Cleveland and Mentor were plan B and C in case of a problem or bad weather. Waves were four to five feet so we had an exciting ride. The wind was coming from the southwest and we were heading northeast. The waves were moving faster than we were so they would lift the stern of Serenity and pass under us. Some would break under us and send a vibration through the hull. We needed to be on a run today...dead downwind...the one point of sail we had not practiced much or should I say at all. We did get some practice in today.

 A pirate looks at 61
The 2x4s behind me are to build mast supports for the Erie Canal.

 Anyone want to stop in Cleveland?  Not today!

 Does Shirl look worried to you? A nap east of Cleveland.

 Fairport Harbor entrance... a welcome sight.

Serenity and Shirl at Fairport Harbor
Serenity loves to sail...you can just tell. It was a great day and a fun sail. We learned a lot today. We only had one issue...an accidental jibe...when it happens the boom swings across so fast it sounds like the mast in coming down. more fun tomorrow...next time I will rig a preventer!

18 comments:

  1. So glad you all made it to your first stop! Loved all of the photos and the update. Am I the only one that thinks Shirley is napping precariously close to the edge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the blog & the photos....please keep them coming. Some of us don't live on the edge, but wish we could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making the first step on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on starting your cruising dream! We can only imagine how exciting that is and can't wait to experience it ourselves.

    It's hard to imagine needing jackets in blankets when living in Louisiana. It's still in the 80's.

    Have another great day sailing ... and another and another!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. So, so proud of you Shirl! Never would have thought in a million years you'd do something like this, wow! I'm loving floowing you're blog but you need to write more about what you think of this wonderfully crazy adventure. Love you! Marilyn

      Delete
    2. You guys forgot to take me with you! hahah Have fun today!

      Delete
    3. Amanda,
      Not enough room for all those kiddos!

      Delete
  6. Marilyn,
    I keep asking Shirl to post. I thing she will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great pictures and adventures! This is Tracy, but I'm going to post as anonymous because I'm too stupid to figure this out. I have a google account and a twitter account. I don't get it! Anyway, thanks for sharing your days and photos. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      Thanks for following and take care of yourself. Call me sometime.

      Delete
  8. This is Brenda Lloyds wife ,this looks like fun ,what an adventure thanks for sharing .have fun be safe and keep the pictures comming. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Almost to the Big water I see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, not to get to off subject...but, I tried miikng the Delaware Bay photo my desktop photo and it is really blurred. Can I get another location photo like that so I can hang it on my wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you should come back up to Erie and pick me up! You don't need any money in the ocean right? I'm bringin' a family of 5 and a fishing pole.lol! Let me know when were at Gilligan's Island!lol(bear)

    ReplyDelete
  12. “Before we invented civilization our ancestors lived mainly in the open, out under the sky. Before we devised artificial lights and atmospheric pollution and modern forms of night entertainment, we watched the stars. There were definite calendar reasons of course, but there was also more to it than that. Even today the most jaded city feller can be unexpectedly moved upon encountering a clear night sky studded with thousands of twinkling stars. When it happens make sure it takes your breath away." Love you(bear)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you...if you are having trouble leaving a comment please email us and let us know. Thanks, Ted and Shirl