Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright."...Bob Marley

I recently read a great post on Mid-Life Cruising, one of the sailing blogs I follow ... http://www.mid-lifecruising.com/. Like us, the blog's authors are a couple preparing to cruise. The post discussed turning a dream into reality, why some people do and others do not....and the emotional toll that results from striving to make your dream a reality. The post mentions fear...of the unknown...of cruising...as well as other " brick walls" that can impede the progress of preparations to cruise. 
The blog's author  quotes Randy Pausch...


"The brick walls are there for a reason.  The brick walls are not there to keep us out.   The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something, because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough.  They're there to stop the other people".    Randy Pausch,  The Last Lecture

This quote certainly resonates with us. If you have not read this book I highly recommend it. Randy Pausch was terminally ill when he did his last lecture, and his book as well as his lecture provides insight into living in the present, and focusing on and clinging to what is valuable in life...useful advice for all!


I follow a few cruising blogs and the process of making the cruising dream happen is different in each. As with any major life decision the "brick walls"  appear for all. Because individual circumstances vary,  obstacles that surface during preparations to cruise differ as well,  but can result in frustration and/or stress. I think that preparing to cruise by dealing with these obstacles is excellent training for cruising. ..an introduction to expecting the unexpected, and practice on proactively dealing with problems that arise. There will certainly be "brick walls" while we are cruising . Dealing with issues can only make you stronger...and being stronger will make you a better cruiser. Remember when we were young and we used to run through walls? For me it is definitely time for a more thought out approach.


One of the largest of the "brick walls" for me has been the comfort zone issue.  My comfort zone for 36 years has been working...doing something I loved to do.  The process of getting ready to cruise is easier for me than the process of getting used to not doing the job I enjoyed for so many years ... and maybe just not working in general. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of work I am doing, it is just not the structured routine I am used to.  Life is all about choices, but I guess some of us are creatures of habit. ( a great topic for another post) I know this transition will take  time. Time is what I have right now. 
My favorite Randy Pausch quote...


“The key question to keep asking is, are you spending your time on the right things? Because time is all you have. ”   Randy Pausch


How do you know if the things you are doing are the right things to spend time on? I think the answer to that is you follow your heart. 
Thanks  to Mid-Life Cruising for a great thought provoking post.
If you love to read pick up a copy of "The Last Lecture." Even if you do not like to read give it a shot...it is a great book!


Don't worry about a thing...










4 comments:

  1. You are brave to follow your dreams but the best part of life is that you have the ability to change direction at any time. It takes a long time to get used to something different after 36 years so be gentle on yourself. Take care of yourself like you have taken care of others over the years and you will be fine. Give it some time.

    By the way I'm looking at Dock Holiday as I type this--everything is good other than my vacation is coming to an end (you never have to say that again).

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    I hope you enjoyed your time on the lake.I know Tyler did. The good news...changing direction usually presents new challenges which I think are much needed. The bad news... I have always been a little slow on big adjustments. Thanks for following the blog. It should get more interesting in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time i have seen this blog.....tnx for the updates ;) i was actually wondering what was going on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, thanks for checking it out. We are making slow but sure progress.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you...if you are having trouble leaving a comment please email us and let us know. Thanks, Ted and Shirl