Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way" Jimmy Buffett

Although I will be on Lake Erie for a few days finishing up the list of things I want to do on the boat before we begin our adventure, I wanted to post something a little different today. Yesterday I played in a golf outing, (The Big Nick), that is held yearly to raise money as well as to honor a friend (Nick), who passed away ten years ago at a very young age. The money raised is used to help families in need, in Nick's name. I had a great time, my son- in- law played as well, and our foursome was rounded out with an old friend, who I do not get to see as often as I would like, and his son.

Recent events have been causing me to think a lot about the magic and the tragic sides of life. I have had family members as well as friends who have recently had some health issues, and  Shirl and I have experienced as others  have, the loss of loved ones. I think we all realize that there are no guarantees...something can happen at any time, and at any age, that could drastically change our future. Since I have had more time recently relax and think...and do some self evaluation, I know that I sometimes "sweat the small stuff" that really does not matter...the little frustrating things that I waste precious time on, that capture my attention, but in the big picture are not significant and do not deserve my time. The last few years have made this more clear to me. I know that as I get caught up in the habits and routine of life, I sometimes do not appreciate the fact that although planning for the future and setting goals is good, living in the present and enjoying life now is much more important! Habits and routine are dangerous. They lull you into feeling that everything will stay the same...that life will somehow continue as it always has. This is not necessarily the case.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans".
                                                                                                        John Lennon

 I will be vacationing with my family  very soon. Although coordinating schedules is very difficult at times, we have managed to pull it off again this year. We always have a great time together... the grandchildren love it!

This year Cash, who is almost one year old, joins the family vacation fun. 


I love our vacation, and am so happy that my family values our time together. My plan is to relax, enjoy the family time and think of nothing else... to stay in the present. After vacation...back to getting ready to cruise. 


If you are still interested, and reading this post, perhaps you are like I am and tend to get get fixated on things you can not control and really don't freaking matter. Maybe we can do better to live in the present while working toward our future goals. Hug your loved ones, and embrace the precious and fragile  life you have been blessed with... live it to the fullest! Have some fun! Maybe go cruising...ride that Harley...or  maybe just take a day to relax and think, or do something you have always wanted to do, but for whatever reason did not. Remember ...no guarantees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you...if you are having trouble leaving a comment please email us and let us know. Thanks, Ted and Shirl