Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"

Another quote I read but can not remember who made it...
I have been asked many times why I would want to take a trip aboard a sailboat. I thought about it and here are my thoughts. I hope these make sense...

1. Maybe it is the fact that this is a real challenge: Cruising is not passive. It is challenging physically as well as mentally. It has not been easy for either of us with the crash course... learn as you do it experience. We have done well so far. But let me clear something up...We do not sail Serenity, we help Serenity sail herself. It takes mental alertness and physical stamina to sail day after day. You have to have both to successfully cruise. Completing a challenge makes you more self sufficient, and to a certain extent can boost self confidence. The fact is that cruising pushes my limits, and when limits are pushed growth can occur. As I have mentioned before, challenges are not as frequent later in life. This challenge has been very good for me. After all...our shakedown cruise was to cross Lake Erie.

2. Maybe it's the boat: I have always considered myself a boat person. Both Shirl and I are comfortable with the motion as well as the amount of work Serenity requires. We have lived on Serenity over a month at this point. While we are dealing with a much smaller space than we are used to, we are very comfortable. Are there all the comforts of home?...no. Serenity enables us to travel and take our home with us...now that is cool!

3. Maybe it is nostalgia or even history: I have always been fascinated by nautical history. I remember learning about the Vikings, Columbus, the Erie Canal, and the impact that boats and naval forces have had on the outcome of wars. I remember being fascinated as a child by reading Robinson Caruso, and even by watching Gilligan's Island as hokey as it was, and Swiss Family Robinson...although I would never want to be shipwrecked on a deserted island. Maybe those childhood fascinations stick with you!

4. Maybe it is because cruising is the road less traveled. There are others out here doing this, but not a significant percentage of the population. Everyone I meet along the way seems to understand the attraction of a trip like this. When I tell them where we are going, and where we started, they light up, and ask a lot of questions. There are many sailors as well as non-sailors who would love to take this trip. We know that we are very fortunate to be able to do this. My advice to any one who wants to...one step at a time, and make it happen.

5. Maybe it is the freedom to travel anywhere. I remember thinking when we sailed out of New York Harbor...dodging barges and tankers, that there are no boundaries. I can actually sail anywhere I want to from here. I mean anywhere.

6. Maybe it is sharing it with Shirl. She has enjoyed the trip so far and has not been the least bit worried. At least if she was she did not let me know. We work hard, but we laugh and have fun on a daily basis. On board we have both migrated to jobs that we enjoy and are good at. It definately takes teamwork to make this happen. After all, we are living in a very small space!

7. Maybe it is doing something I have been drawn to for years: Thanks Jimmy! I have always wanted to cruise...specifically to sail. I can remeber years ago when my children were young...we would be in our 18 foot bowrider on Cherokee Lake, skiing and kneeboarding, and watching the kids swim. Jimmy Buffett music would be playing, and there was a great feeling of comfort being on a boat and together with family. Since then the best times I have had at Cumberland Lake involved family, relaxing, the water and again...Jimmy Buffett music. I have always been drawn to boats and the water. Jimmy's music sets the stage...Jimmy's world of Margaritaville is a state of mind. I can close my eyes and be there in an instant. His music plays on Serenity when we sail. Maybe that is why I Blame Buffett! (another post)

8. Maybe it is Beaches, TiKi Bars, and Margaritas: I hope this is one of the reasons eventually, but not yet.

9. So maybe it is not so simple: Maybe it is a spiritual thing...being so close to nature, one with the boat, the wind interacting with the sails while Serenity cruises over water that remains the same after you go through it, as it was before..The night sky...seeing God's creations ...nature up close and on a personal level. The sound, smells, and motion of the water, as well as the life it supports; The star filled sky...there is no better place to be.

10. Maybe I want to let my children and grandchildren know that you can not forsake dreams because you are afraid to take risks...yes maybe that is it!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! While we won't be cruising until 2013, I believe all of the reasons you mentioned are why we can't wait to cruise.

    We also hope to be great examples to our family that anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you...if you are having trouble leaving a comment please email us and let us know. Thanks, Ted and Shirl