To see a video of Lock 17 on The Erie Canal click below.
This is the compass at the helm. If you notice we are heading south for the first time since this trip began. We left Waterford at 9:00 a.m. It was raining and cold, with a lot of wind. We were thinking about staying in Waterford for another day...you can stay moored to their wall for 48 hours, but with the weather being bad we decided to head down the Hudson River to Catskill, New York...about 40 miles. We will have the mast stepped at Hop-O-Nose Marina. The Hudson River was rough today, and for the first time we needed to be concerned with tides. The Hudson River is tidal all the way to the Federal Lock at Troy.We locked through at Troy about 9:30 this morning. High tide occurred at about 4:30 a.m. So the tide moved down the Hudson until about 11:30, at which time it began to move back up the river, and we were fighting a 2 knot current. The tide ebbs and flows twice a day. Riding the outgoing tide we were cruising at 8 m.p.h. at 2250 r.p.m. I know you are supposed to run diesel engines at a higher r.p.m., but to me 2250 seems like the sweet spot for Little Big Man.
Tomorrow Serenity will be a sail boat again. We will step the mast and Shirl and I will attach and tune the standing rigging, install he running rigging, and run up the sails.